Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

BURNS NIGHT





Happy Birthday today to Robbie Burns The Bard of Ayrshire.  One of the things on my list is to be in Scotland for Burns Night and go to an official Burns Supper.....but until then I intend to drink several large whiskies to his blessed memory.  He was a man who lived his relatively short life to overflowing....lots of hard work, lots of shagging, lots and lots of drink, creativity, pain and sadness, some fame, but he has lived on far beyond his relatively sequestered life in Scotland in the late 18th century.  He was a pagan in a very restrictive repressive society, who created some very beautiful poetry.



My love is like a red, red rose
   That’s newly sprung in June :
My love is like the melody
   That’s sweetly played in tune.
 
As fair art thou, my bonnie lass,
   So deep in love am I :
And I will love thee still, my dear,
   Till a’ the seas gang dry.
 
Till a’ the seas gang dry, my dear,
   And the rocks melt wi’ the sun :
And I will love thee still, my dear,
   While the sands o’ life shall run.
 
And fare thee weel, my only love,
   And fare thee weel a while !
And I will come again, my love,
   Thou’ it were ten thousand mile.
 



I would recommend to anyone to read some of his poems....or better yet download them onto your iPod, and have a Scotsman read them to you with a beautiful Scottish bur.  I have a collection by Alex Norton of Taggart fame.


8 comments:

  1. That's one of my favorite poems of his. I'm a highland dancer and danced at a Burns dinner last night - the gentleman who did the Address to a Haggis one of the best I've ever heard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you lucky duck!!! Did you take pics...post some if you did. Morning to all from Sydney

      Delete
  2. Good heavens, I just imagined David Tennent reading that poem! *swoon*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooooohhhhhh David Tennent.....OMG what a good idea!!!

      Delete
  3. personally i would go for Gerard Butler doing a bit of Burns - that would do it for me! My daughter is learning Tam o Shanter just now for the school Burns competition - she's getting there lol! ps, I live just a couple of miles from Burns Cottage but never actually been in..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Maureen....you must go the Burns Cottage and post a picture...it is a bloody long way from Sydney and I may never get there. Tam O'Shanter is a mighty poem...."five scimitars with murder crusted" wish her well from me, it will be a fine achievement when she gets to the end!!

      Delete
  4. Awww. Just read it aloud to The Bloke. :-) With my tammy tea cosy on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a picture of the scene in my minds eye......!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete